Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Jack Saved!



I Retopo'ed Harry's Red panda thing, named jack, in Zbrush. I took the mesh that was giving him such a hard time with the normals and bascially (point by point) drew a kind of cage mesh around his original, this cage snaps to the highres model and out puts a model of the same shape (close as it can get), however I tweaked the geometry layout on the model seeing as I suspected being made of a single sphere was causing some of the normals. There is a problem area near the stomach, I wasn't exactly extremely careful :/. however any problems with the mesh I'm sure he can smooth out himself. I'm supplying the Ztool for you buddy, just load it into Zbrush, it has also a color texture painted on it, I believe this is what your original color scheme was? I hope so, if not just do what you need. Hope this helps.

ztool:
jack.ZTL

P.S. There are no UVs on this mesh. Simple way of doing this is a UV Transfer in MAya. Just import the new mesh as an Obj. and place is exactly on the original, should do that automatically. then in Polygons > Mesh > Transfer Attributes, select UV and click apply, it should work well I tried it. The UVs of the original mesh are tranfered onto the new mesh. It analyzes face placement in relation to the original so it just slips the new geometry into the shell UV of the original. Enjoy :)

This model will need some tweaking so be prepared.

1 comment:

Earguy said...

So this is a group project now? :)

Would still be interesting to find out what happened to the normals, I'm wondering how much of the problems is caused by the conversion from LightWave to Maya.

New mesh does look nice!