Monday, November 16, 2009

Sleasel's Favorite Pub

... from here. I like the feel of this a lot - the deep, reddish, well-worn wood, the bar stools, the assorted liquor bottles, the dark spots of red, green and blue, the neon lights glowing softly in the back. This feels like a place that Sleasel would enjoy frequenting. I'd like to incorporate these elements into my animation/texturing project.


In a separate room in the back of the pub, three pool tables will be arranged in a smaller, darker room. I won't be modelling this room for my current animation, but I thought I would include reference for it here to give you guys an idea of the feel I'm after. By the way, the pool room image is from here.


Now here's my issue - the fur I was originally trying to pursue is not a possibility for the animation. Rendering times make it totally impractical for anything but still images. Instead, I'm considering working with the cell shading look that Matt posted earlier. Wikipedia has some good examples here.

BUT - the visuals of the pub seem so dependent upon the deep woody textures and dark subtlety of color changes that the cel-shading, or toon shading, might not really capture the feel of the pub. I'm open to suggestions about how to convey the dark, cozy, but somewhat dirty feel of the pub using the toony cel-shader - do you think just using rich color choices would work? How could I get a wood grain with the cel-shading? OR - perhaps there is another rendering choice I could pursue...
I'm thinking of signing up for/posting this to the CGTalk forum, but I'd like to get your input first.

1 comment:

Earguy said...

Of course you do not have to go with standard toon shading but could develop your own version :)

Wood grain can be preserved if you like, but you do want to do that in a way that fits in with the rest of the rendering style.