Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Rigging has Begun


As with most characters I do, proper rigging is my most important step. It can sometimes take me weeks just to get everything flowing and moving proper. As always, the better the rigging the easier it will be to do smoother and more believable animation later on.

Today I've simply begun the joint rigging process.





I have though already been finalizing the blendshapes that will morph the face. I absolutely consider this part of the rigging process. If the blendshapes do not work well with one another than my facial animation and lip syncing could be in jeopardy.















As for what this will hopefully all look like in the end? Well I did a quick mock up of a simple concept.

2 comments:

Jennifer D. Cram said...

Well, sir, that looks great. The facial expression you've shared is delicious.

But why do you use two bones in the head, to the top and to a spot between the eyes?

Re: your concept - have you decided upon a monologue yet? Will you be writing one or are you searching for one that already exists?

Is the stage going to be well defined, or will he be walking about in, as it seems from your sketch, a cloud of murky, spotlit ambiguity?

Unknown said...

Okay first thanks :)

Second, because I have the eyes links to joints which are then linked to eye lid joints which will deform the eyelids as the eyes moves in the head (as it does in nature) I am, however playing around with the Idea of using Blendshapes to deform the eyelinds and link that to a slider that also controls eye rotation. I wont give me as flexibility but I would then be sure that when the eye looks left, then the eyelids would deform correctly. I also figured that since I am using a blendshape as appose to a joint to move the jaw around I might as well apply that same principle to the eyes. I'm still working on that.
I have actually redid a lot of the blendshapes. The smile was bothering me, as the to half smirks weren't making a natural smile when combined, same with the Upper lip up (think of a sneer). I also adjusted the jaw to move a little smoother. Maybe I'll add Clusters (think of a point that controls a bunch of points on the face) to deform my already deformed face even more.

Third, I'm writing it, however I'm kinda stuck on this part. I honestly don't know what I'm going to write about :/ I do want him to have a cool calm collected attitude, yet tell a story thats completely outrageous. If anyone wants to help they're welcome.

And Forth, The stage wont be well defined. I Don't want that to be the focus. He'll be walking around in darkness mostly, just the lights on him. Do want there to be a floor though something murky. I'm not there yet but I'll figure that part out when the time comes.